
It's Wednesday which means it's time for Snack of the Day again! This is where I share with you (and hopefully you share with me through comments!) some of my favorite healthy snacks. (Make sure to scroll all the way to the bottom to find info on how to enter the giveaway!)
Remember, we aren't talking fruits and veggies here, we all know those are healthy. I give a "healthy" rating on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being totally unhealthy (think Snickers bar or greasy potato chips) and 5 being pretty darn healthy. Now, there's always something better and healthier right? I would give fruits and veggies a 10 on my scale. It's kind of like thinking good, better, best. I'm just starting out on this journey so there's no way I'm going to be able to give up my comfort snacks that easy and switch to edamame or something (and I have actually tried that and think it's gross but that's a story for another day). The snacks I recommend are better than those quick grab snacks like candy or potato chips, and when we've mastered these snacks then hopefully we'll move on to something even better. So follow along and join the journey to healthier snacking! :)
Today's snack of the day is my beloved popchips! I first heard about popchips on facebook when my husband's cousin (who is a workout nut- love you Alyssa!) mentioned that she was eating some. I was curious but thought there was no way they could be good, right? A few weeks later though I heard Jillian Michael's promoting them, even selling them on her website and showing a picture of her "stash"- a deep drawer in her kitchen stock full of large bags of popchips in practically every flavor. Well I knew that if Jillian swore by them then they must be good and they are!
Overall Taste: The texture of popchips is light and fluffy but still has that crisp chip bite to it. They have a salty taste like potato chips but are not greasy at all. They also come in a variety of yummy flavors. My personal favorite is Original, but they also have sour cream and onion, cheddar, barbeque, salt and vinegar and salt and pepper.
Healthy Score: On a scale of 1-5 with 1 being not the best and 5 being pretty darn healthy I'd love to give them a 5 but their high sodium content is going to earn them a 3.5 in my book. Now, keep in mind these chips are made with all natural ingredients, have no preservatives, and no hydrogenated oils or msg. Their sodium content, however, is higher than the average potato chip. This was one of Jillian's only complaints about this chip and she as well as the company both say they are currently working to lower the sodium content. Even with that I'll still grab a bag of these over potato chips any day!
WW: The WW points on these may differ between flavors (none of the flavors have saturated fat except for the sour cream and onion and the cheddar so those may be slightly higher points) but Original comes in at 3 points for 23 chips! That's some good bang for your points buck.
Now onto the giveaway! Want to try some yummy popchips for yourself? I will select 2 winners for this giveaway and each will receive a "Healthy Snacking Sampler Kit" made up of some of my favorite healthy snacks.
To enter is simple: Just leave a comment on this post telling me what your favorite healthy snack is. The giveway will be open until next Tuesday February 15th at midnight and I'll announce the winner with next week's Snack of the Day post. And, go!
7 comments:
Oh I love popchips!
My favorite healthy snack has to be the 94% fat free popcorn though. Eating some now!
I loved them!
hey!! this is my first time reading this... and my name is in it!! hahaha!! love you back, girl!
Okay, I seriously love popchips and can't get enough of them. i'm so glad costco sells them!
my question is: what about sunchips? they are whole grain, and popchips are potato chips. you can definitely have more popchips b/c they are low in calorie, but your body needs the whole grain more than a starch.. no? that's my thinking anyway. i'll always have a bag of popchips in my cupboard, but i was just thinking about this the other day and wondered if you had any thoughts. thanks for your post today! keep up your great work!
I'm not gonna lie - I'm all about the popcorn. My roommates always new it was me popping popcorn. But these pop chips look good. Are they at more stores other than costco?
My favorite snack is a tomato. Red and yummy. :)
Funny u mentioned edamame cause I recently gave them a go and have been weirdly craving them ever since! I keep telling myself it's fine though cause it's the only veggie I've EVER wanted to snack on! They can be a little too salty, but it helps me cause I tend to want to snack salty, especially when I'm doing WW. Hope I win!!!
Post a Comment