Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Snack of the Day


For today's snack of the day I thought I'd give a shout out to our liquid snacks! We all know that soda and juice can be pretty unhealthy depending on the ingredients, amounts, etc. I for one actually do not like soda at all and I'd choose water over just about any juice. For those of you who don't like the taste of plain water, this post is for you!

There are several options when it comes to "flavored water drinks" shall we say. The tricky part is knowing which ones are healthy and which ones are just sugar disguised as water. Case in point: Coca Cola had a lawsuit brought against them for advertising their product, Vitamin Water, to have health benefits (hence the vitamin part). I have to admit, I fell for this one! It is totally advertised as a health drink and no one would no different, right? Coca-Cola's respone?

In a staggering feat of twisted logic, lawyers for Coca-Cola are defending the lawsuit by asserting that "no consumer could reasonably be misled into thinking vitaminwater was a healthy beverage."

Unreasonable consumer, party of one. :)

Now, on to the good stuff! Here are a few of my favorite healthy options to plain water.

- Zest up your water! Add some slices of cucumbers for a yummy spa like drink. Add some lemon slices or orange slices for a citrus taste. Try a drop of peppermint oil for a refreshing cooling drink.. All things you can do at home and without breaking the bank.

- Hint Water. As pictured above, Hint Water's motto is "Drink Water. Not Sugar." They come in a variety of flavors though my personal favorite is Watermelon.

- Metro Mint: Metromint is 100% water and 100% mint which makes 200% yummy. (The math is from their website advertisement but to me it just doesn't add up.) It is a minty refreshing drink that comes in a super cool tall bottle. Yes, I am enticed by packaging and I also judge a book by its cover. :)

What are some of your alternatives to juice and soda?

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I try to stick with water, every now and then I splurge with something else but water's my friend. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails