Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Food I really Like (and is good for you)

While I've been just trying to encoporate more healthy foods into our diet, I've found a few things that I REALLY like, and it's a good substitue for other things, most often pasta.

Food Merchants Organic Polenta, Tradtional, 18-Ounce Sleeve (Pack of 12)Polenta -- I had this once at a restaurant and I just adored the creamy texture.  Mmmm... but then no one else seemed to like it, but I'm making it more and more lately (probably because it's in Cooking Light a fair amount) and it's delicious.  I made it tonight with a little cream cheese and 1T of butter and yum-o.  Do you like Polenta?  I mostly like it where I cook it, instead of cutting it and grilling it as it's pictured, but either way...

Ancient Harvest Organic Quinoa, Traditional, 12-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12)
Quinoa -- I had never heard of this until recently when someone said it is a good source of protein along with the feeling of pasta.  I LOVE the stuff, especially in salad.  I'm not sure I'd smother it with marinara sauce, but I make a shrimp with Quinoa that I LOVE.  FYI, it's pronounced keen-wah. 
Absolutely Avocado (Cook West)Avocados.  I always knew I loved them, but now I mush them and spread them on toast, or have them with my eggs.  Someone online said to mix it in with your polenta.  Sounds good to me!

Heinz Beans in Tomato Sauce, 13.7-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12)Beans.  What a great way to cut costs and be a little more healthy, also my kids really like them -- especially P and the doctor said they're a good source of iron, protein and fiber.  Horray!  I also have a pressure cooker (I hope to write a review of that upcoming on my real blog) that I really like cooking them in.  So easy.

Anyway, for me it's just been inching a bit out of my comfort zone, perusing the bulk isle at Sprouts (bulk isle is great, because you don't have to make a giant investment in something you're not sure you're going to love).  BTW, Sprouts has 25% off all their bulk bins through tomorrow.  What a great way to feel good about trying new things.

What do you love that is healthy?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Avocadoes are a big hit here as well. I wish they weren't so expensive because they are really great for you and our whole family loves them. We will dash a little sea salt on them and just scoop it out of the skin or mash it and eat it with chips. It is a welcome addition to salads, sandwiches and soups.

Yogurt - Both my youngest and I will eat plain yogurt with fruit (usually mashed up banana because it is cheap, easy to mash and has a strong flavor), but my husband and my oldest will only eat the flavored kind with lots of sugar.

Nuts and seeds - I like them plain too, but I'm looking forward to using my new dehydrator to be able to soak and then make flavored crispy almonds, brazil nuts, cashews etc I got some raw peanuts at the Sprouts bulk sale and I am going to try to make my own peanut butter(after they've been soaked and crispied).

Snap peas - this is probably our family's favorite vegetable. The ones that have tough strings are a little annoying because I have to de-string them for the kids. But they are excited to eat their veggies!

Related Posts with Thumbnails