Thursday, December 9, 2010

What I am Learning from the Biggest Loser

I have so many feelings when I watch the Biggest Loser.

I'm SO proud of those people, and yet I worry a lot about them...

I just try and focus on the positive.

The fact that these people have lost almost the same amount of weight as people who have sugery, in the same period of time... and yet they look healthy and vibrant.

I don't want to offend anyone who's had the surgery but there are always a few weeks in there that I worry they're going to die (my first 2 codes were on patients who'd had gastric bypass -- this was back in about 1999).  Anyway, I'm just so proud of them and I wish them the best.

I'm actually voting for Ada, I didn't know she lives very close to me.  I want to be her best friend.  Do you think she'll want to be my best friend?

I'm sure she will.

Do you watch it?  Do you have mixed feelings?

4 comments:

Gene A. said...

I do find the show to be an inspiration - I love Bob and Jillian! Of the two, I would like ADA in the finals and I love the three finalists- my winner vote would be for Patrick.
I have enjoyed this season - a bit of game-playing but I love some of the heart this year - like Ada letting Patrick win the car. More importantly I am always inspired by them to work out more. To see the improvement in weight-loss, getting off prescription drugs, and getting from barely walking to running a marathon is a true inspiration.

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

I love watching the biggest loser, though that show always makes me want to eat. If Elizabeth makes the finals I'm never watching again.

I don't like how they portray the marathon though. It's a dangerous thing to do if you're under trained or not used to running. Because they don't focus on it until the episode they run it in it puts out the perception that you don't need much preparation for it.

RR said...

Hey! Thanks for checking out my blog! Yours is really awesome. You know, I have really strong feelings about surgery. My MIL didn't have gb, but a form of it. Actually, what she had, in my opinion, is a more radical version. Although that is not what her doctors told her. She was only able to drink OUNCES of fluid at a time post surgery. Actually, for two days after, she was not allowed to eat anything. Have you heard of that? They only keep the upper, smallest part of the stomach and take the rest out. Fortunately, everything went well and she seems happy. But she never really learned how to eat healthy. And that is my problem with gb surgeries. But you know with all her health probs, she could have died without it, so for that I am grateful. Plus, she is happy. I guess you have to weigh the costs/benefits. Ha,my comment was longer than your post!

tyler said...

My wife and I love to watch the Biggest Loser. We also worry a lot about the contestants and weather they are making life changes, or just temporary changes. I think it keeps us motivated to stay in shape and to make sure we are living a healthy lifestyle and not just going through a healthy phase.

Related Posts with Thumbnails