Monday, July 19, 2010

The W's of Weight Loss: Who

Oprah always says that you need to find out WHY you're fat and fix it before you can really be "free".

It's something I skim over, but I haven't really gotten it.  I wasn't abused as a child, my life is pretty darn great....

So I thought I'd be all investigative-reporter-ly like and look into the 5 W's.

Who.

Who made me fat?  Who makes me overeat?

Well, the sad news it that I started gaining weight when I got married.  In college I chose to spend my money on entertainment and left a potato and a granola bar as my sustenance for the day ( I was just under 120 when I got married, I lost weight in college).  BUT, once a Mormon gal's married it's time to put my culinary skills to good use.  It's time to show my man I can cook for him!

The meals came, and the weight came.  My husband grew-up on a dairy and likes his cheese... not to say I don't, but he does too.

Also, I worked a evening gig while I was in nursing school.  It was a late night triage gig where we ate out at least twice a week.  Mm... the Mexican flag (beans - with melted cheese, guacamole and sour cream, with chips to dip your love in).  We often ate at like 8 pm or later....

I was also a bit unhappy my first year of marriage.  I spent a fair amount of time at home studying.  Even though I walked to and from school (which was at least a mile) I wasn't as active as I'd like.

Let's not say that the weight loss stopped there.

It continued.

Having Conner didn't help things.  My first year of motherhood was also really hard on me, and my waistline showed it.

Then there was moving to CA, which really broke the camel's back.  Having no friends here made me want to drown my sorrows in a Wendy's combo meal.  Also, we were making a lot more money then we ever had, so eating out was great (and I was working full time, so it wasn't like I was in the mood to cook).  Oh, and again I worked an evening job, often eating until late into the night.

Luckily, I have friends now that also watch their weight, including my hubby, Drew.  It's great to have friends who can help you and not try to get you to have MORE CAKE. :)  Of course, if you read my other blog, you will find that my friends are slowly diminishing, and I know that I need to find some to be recreational with, and not just sit around and enjoy lunch.

So, who is it that makes you not reach your weight goals?  Is it time to cut some people go, or have a talk?  Or, perhaps just realize that this is an issue with that person and consciously try to break through it?

Look inside yourself. ;)  Too bad I can't do a favorite things episode. :)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I've tried asking myself this same question... I think I'm just an emotional eater. Stress especially does it to me. Maybe stress is my "who". Last night I tried explaining how my mind works when I get stressed out to my husband. When he chooses to overeat, it's just because it tastes good. But, if I get stressed, all I can think about is CHOCOLATE! or SODA! or GREASY BURGER & FRY! or EL AZTECA (I miss them & BETO'S!)! Well, you get the picture... So, I'm just trying to change my wiring. Not easy after 33 years.

Nancy said...

Hey Hilary!

Weight is a complicated thing, especially since to be healthy we do need to eat. I appreciate your honesty.

Related Posts with Thumbnails